Can I install XP over VIsta

Sheps 15:12 03 Dec 2007

Hi ya peeps,
My son has just treated himself to a Acer Aspire Laptop, but it has Vista on it, well it is sooooooooo slow, his laptop has the same spec as my desktop and i'm going so much faster than him. So If i purchase him a XP disc, could i install it over the Vista ??? Dont want to do it until u experts at pcadvisor give me your expert advise. many thanks in advance Sheps

Technotiger 15:21 03 Dec 2007

You had better have a search through this lot .. sorry I can't help you personally.

click here

anskyber 15:23 03 Dec 2007

Have you considered dual booting? click here

woodchip 15:41 03 Dec 2007

You need to go to Manufacturers Site and Get all Drivers for that model Laptop, You will also as yo say need a full XP Disc and Key. You will need to not just Format, you will have to Delete the Vista Partition so it clears the Info that Vista writes to MBR then create a new Partition and format it before loading Windows. Also be aware that You may need sata Drivers if the drive is Sata. These will need loading before Windows. From a Floppy disc etc

woodchip 15:42 03 Dec 2007

XP drivers you need

Bapou 16:08 03 Dec 2007

Before going to the extreme, take a look in Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel and check just how many programs came preinstalled.

Her next door bought a laptop recently with Vista installed. Same problem, took an age to boot up etc. Manufacturers had installed loads of trial programs, she downloaded the free Decrapifier,
click here

Clearing out all this junk made a big difference.

Sheps 23:30 04 Dec 2007

Just wanna say thanks for all your advice, looks like i'm gonna have to keep my sons laptop as vista ............. not a happy bunny lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?