Can I install a USB 2.0 Card on this computer?

Sapins 18:40 17 Dec 2005

I have a Pentium 111 650Mhz with 512mb of RAM and 98SE installed, I bought it in 1999.

I had bought a USB 2.0 card and could not get it to install the driver so I took it back this afternoon and got a refund.

I was told that the motherboard was probably too old to install such a card. Is that true?

xania 18:51 17 Dec 2005

Pentium 111 is a chip, not a motherboard - can oyu find out more. I suspect you're right, in which case you may need to replace your motheboard, and CPU, but this can be done quite cheaply if you don't want a powerful PC. Shpould be able to get one with USB on-board. 98SE only supoorts USB 1.1, but you should be able to install a USB 2.0 card, but you will only get 1.1 speeds.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:56 17 Dec 2005

Does my Computer Support USB?

There are two programs available to check if your system is USB ready. Although, neither of these programs is a guarantee that your computer will provide trouble-free USB, both provide good indications of capability.

Intel USB Check click here
Entrega USB Ready click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 17 Dec 2005

BIOS Settings

Common BIOS Problems

Many USB Problems are the result of improper settings in the BIOS. To achieve proper USB connectivity the BIOS needs to be a properly working partner.

Enable USB in the BIOS

USB is often disabled by Default in the BIOS. To enable USB in the BIOS one or more of the following statements must be true.

USB Keyboard - DOS or Enabled (Even if you have NO USB Keyboard)

Legacy USB Support - Enabled

and/or

Assign IRQ for USB - Enabled (Some combinations of OS and BIOS version require this setting to be Disabled).

If there are NO references to USB in the BIOS setup, your BIOS Version Needs To Be Updated.

The BIOS version does NOT support USB.

Vintage 1996-97 motherboards, even those with USB pinouts (AT Style) almost always require a BIOS update to achieve proper USB connectivity. Generally, a BIOS date of June 1998 or newer is required for Win9x systems. A BIOS date of October 1999 or newer is usually required for systems running Windows 2000. New Operating Systems require new BIOS revisions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:02 17 Dec 2005

USB Upgrade Cards

Upgrading to USB by PCI/USB upgrade card is a recommended solution for systems with non-functioning onboard USB host controllers.

Properly Installed the USB upgrade host controller should share the same IRQ as the onboard USB host controller. Check the motherboard manual or Manufacturers Web Site and install the new card into a PCI Slot that shares it's IRQ with USB. DO NOT disable USB in the BIOS as the upgrade card may not work if you do.

Make sure that the new upgrade card is fully seated into the PCI slot. Do not close the case until you have established proper connectivity.

Sapins 19:13 17 Dec 2005

Thanks for the links I have just ran the first one on the 98SE system and it said both the software and the hardware has full USB support. So I should be able to install a USB 2.0 card?

Sapins 19:15 17 Dec 2005

Thanks for further the advice, I'll order one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone