Can I have 3 Hard Drives and a CDRW at same time?

PhiltheFragger 16:39 13 Aug 2003

Have a pc chips 810 series mobo with Athlon xp2000 cpu, 256 mb PC133 Ram.

Have a master Hdd 2 slave Hdds and a master CDRW,

All the jumpers are set and double checked.

All drives recognised in BIOS but windows can only see the C drive and the E drive (CDRW)

Why can't it see the slaves, they are both fdisked and formatted

Cheers

Bodi 16:42 13 Aug 2003

Have you checked the "slave" drive jumper settings? Also, some hard disks set as master, require jumper settings of "master with slave attached" or something similar.

Hope this helps.

Bodi

Diemmess 16:55 13 Aug 2003

I would give priority to a HDD before any CD writer, and then is the time to set the jumpers

stupidhead 16:59 13 Aug 2003

Make the CDRW a slave on IDE 1 to your main hdd, that should make it a D...the other two hdd should be fine on IDE 2 as master/slave...

Quiller. 17:19 13 Aug 2003

You are probably running X\P.

Go to start and right click my computer. Scroll down to manage.Now pick disk managment. Noiw look in the bottom right hand pane for the drives.

Right click each slave drive in turn and follow the prompts.

This should get your slave drives going.

beastieboy 17:29 13 Aug 2003

On one cable, set master drive to master and cdrw to slave. Put the drive on the connection nearest the motherboard.

On the other, set one as master and one as slave, repeat above by putting master drive on IDE connection closest to motherboard

Try this.

swanson2 17:49 13 Aug 2003

Hi,

I assume all your Hard Disks are formatted?

You should be able to see all four IDE devices so long as the jumpers are set correctly Master/Slave on one IDE Motherboard IDE connector and Master/Slave on the other one.

Do you need to adjust your BIOS settings?

If all else fails buy an external USB 2 Hard Disk enclosure (Maplin about £25)and fit your third hard disk in the enclosure and plug into your PC's USB bus.

This will be just as fast as an IDE connection and has the benefit of portability!

(If you omly have USB 1 you will have to fit a USB 2 PCI card - about £20)

PhiltheFragger 06:59 14 Aug 2003

Thanks for the ideas

Will have a play and post back later

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?