Can I format a flash drive?

Pineman100 18:34 01 May 2006

I have a 1GB Buffalo USB 2.0 Flash Drive, that has some corrupt files on it which Windows refuses to delete, because it can't recognise them.

Can I simply used the Windows "Format" command to wipe the drive clean? I realise that I will lose all files on the drive, but I just want to be sure I won't mess up the drive if I do this.

I use Windows XP SP2 Home.

Thanks for your advice.

beynac 18:40 01 May 2006

I have an Integral USB 2.0 flash drive. I reformatted this with no problems at all when I had a similar problem.

Pineman100 18:47 01 May 2006

Thanks for that. You describe yours as an "Integral" flash drive - I presume that's just the brand name? We are talking about a little USB plug-in "pen" drive?

skidzy 18:48 01 May 2006

Have you tried to plug in the flash drive,windows should give the option (Open Folder to view files) then all i do is delete the files from there.

Alternatively you can format the flash drive by right clicking the drive via my computer,this will give the option of quick format,this is what i use.

Hope this helps

beynac 22:23 01 May 2006

Yes, Integral is the brand name. As you say, just a little USB plug-in pen drive. I used the right-click/Format.. option described by skidzy.

Pineman100 09:12 03 May 2006

Many thanks for your advice. I'll go ahead and format it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?