Can I fit three hard drives to my comp

hecate 18:54 22 Feb 2007

My computer already has two hard drives fitted. My problem is that I have another computer with a hard drive that does not work. I wanted to clear the drive and reinstall everything. However, this I was unable to do because I could not wipe and re-format. (warning messages were complaining about missing files etc)
Is it possible to fit the faulty drive into the working computer, and wipe and re-format it then replace it into its original computer?
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks, Hecate.

Technotiger 19:00 22 Feb 2007

I would think that using this it would be a doddle ...

click here

BurrWalnut 19:04 22 Feb 2007

Presumably you have optical drive(s) on an IDE cable, so just use that connection for the 'dead' HDD.

You won't have to remove the optical drive just the ribbon cable and power. Support the HDD on something non-metallic like a shoe box. Boot up, right-click My Computer, Manage, Disk management then right-click the 'dead' drive and delete/format the partition(s) as required.

skidzy 19:17 22 Feb 2007

If you do not want to delve inside the working pc and start playing with the ide cables (though easy enough as BurrWalnut explains) Technotiger's idea is really the easier method.
I often use something similar called R-drive kit,basically the same.
Just plug into any usb port and away you go.This saves opening the case and possibly disturbing or damaging anything...especially if the working pc is still under warranty and opening the case could void the warranty.

hecate 08:59 02 Mar 2007

Hi Guys.
Many thanks for your response to my problem.
Burr Walnut, I tried your suggestion and did everything you said, but my computer screen did'nt show the extra hard drive. I checked in the BIOS and it did'nt show there either. I probably did something wrong.
However, I then tried Technotigers idea using a USB to IDE Adaptor. My problem now is how to wipe and reformat the dodgy hard drive. When I was using Win 98 I could use Fdisk, but now I'm onto XP home I don't seem to be able to do that.
Any further help much appriciated.
Thanks Hecate.

terryf 09:22 02 Mar 2007

If you know the make and type of the disk, go to mfr website and download tools that will let you do this, you can also use the tools to check out the disk.

jimv7 09:40 02 Mar 2007

Why not just boot the other computer from the xp cd, format the drive and exit.

jimv7 09:41 02 Mar 2007

Why not just boot the other computer from the xp cd, format the drive and exit.

Snec 09:50 02 Mar 2007
  Gongoozler 10:03 02 Mar 2007

For your computer to recognise the drive, the position the drive is in must be set to Auto in BIOS. Depending on the motherboard in your computer you may also have to instruct the BIOS to find the drive. If you can tell us what motherboard you have, we might be able to help you find the BIOS setting.

You may also have to change the jumper setting on the hard drive according to whether you are fitting it in the Master or Slave position on the IDE cable.

Totally-braindead 10:10 02 Mar 2007

This might be a stupid question but are you sure the drive actually works? If it doesn't then it not being recognised could simply be that the drive is dead.
Personally I would connect it as a direct replacement for your master and with the jumpers set as your master was and try formatting it using the XP disk. If windows cannot find it in the BIOS then my thought on the matter is that the drive is dead, it is an ex drive, it has ceased to be, its pushing up the daisies.
Sorry had a bout of Monty Pythonism there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?