Can I fit a second hard drive - take two

wobblymike 09:20 28 Jun 2003

Forum Editor very kindly answered my question about a second hard drive just a few minutes ago. In my PC however the existing hard drive is bolted into a frame which screws onto the chassis, presumably I will need to fit the second HDD into a similar frame there is room behind it on the chassis to do this but can you tell me where I can get such a frame or will I need to make one. This is a Elonex P166.
Thanks

Bodi 09:32 28 Jun 2003

Desktop/Midi Tower?

If you have a spare five and quarter bay, you can get a couple of rails which would enable you to fit in there.

Sometimes, in a desktop case you will find a space below the two exposed five and a quarter bays. You would still need the rails but there may be room in which to install a hard drive.

Bodi

wobblymike 09:38 28 Jun 2003

Bodi
Thanks for the reply, the case is a desktop and the bays are full, as far as I can see the only available space is immediately behind the exixting HDD or possibly below it either way I would need a mounting frame - I suspect I might have have to just replace the HDD rather than add a new one
Mike

Bodi 09:46 28 Jun 2003

On the right hand side of some desktops, alongside the PSU, there is sometimes a hard disk cradle - sideways on. Might be worth looking there too!

Bodi

wobblymike 10:01 28 Jun 2003

Bodi
had a look no joy I'm afraid but thanks for trying to help
Mike

seedie 12:04 28 Jun 2003

I've got a desktop case too. Due to shortage of space got a HD sitting on the polystyrene base of a pizza on the floor of the case.

CD

SEASHANTY 12:21 28 Jun 2003

Hard drives get hot and require ventilation. Fixing a hard drive to the casing floor is just asking for trouble.

Megatyte 12:31 28 Jun 2003

Some cases are drilled on the base for drive mounting. I had a HP with 4 SCSI drives velcroed to the base, never a problem.

AH

SEASHANTY 16:15 28 Jun 2003

The mind boggles! Why would anyone want FOUR SCSI drives I wonder. Not to even think of the costly expense of SCSI. Wasn't a three foot high server was it? All depends on what cooling fans you have I suppose. I only have the one 80GB drive partitioned into three and Sisoft Sandra frequently tells me the Motherboard is running hot. Doesn't monitor the hard drive - which gives me some comfort. I still think that PC's need plenty of space and ventilation inside. Cramming them full is just asking for trouble.

microswift 17:27 28 Jun 2003

Hard drives also need earthing thats why they are screwed to the chassiss.

dazzling (work) 17:42 28 Jun 2003

what about an external model more exspensive but makes it portable as well.darren

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?