Can I extend an extender ?

tonyx1302 07:46 11 May 2015

Good morning all. I have a Netgear WP 3000 extender connected to my BT HH5 which successfully gives me Wifi upstairs. I would like to have WiFi in our conservatory but the signal there is very weak. Would an extra extender added to my WP3000 give me extra coverage please ?

Thank you for any help

Tony

Batch 08:35 11 May 2015

You'd be better off with a Powerline Access Point (e.g. click here extends the wired network from your router over your mains electric circuit and then creates a new WiFi Access point (with a different name to your existing WiFi) in the "remote" location. Much more reliable and higher speeds.

As much as range extenders can work, they slow the whole process down. In any event I could see extending an extender being fraught with problems. Not least because the router's WiFi and the existing extended WiFi (presumably) use the same name and a further one added (again if the same name) could be having difficulty deciding which (of the existing) to connect to and switching between them.

This

tonyx1302 09:33 11 May 2015

Hello Batch and thanks for your reply. I did try a Powerline access set up but it wasnt as succesful as my Netgear extender but i Think you may be right in so much that it could make problems if I tried

Thank you

Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017