can i edit emails from a USB/offline

dmm27 20:16 17 Oct 2008

Hi

Wondering if there is any way to do the following:

I want to be able to copy an Outlook email folder from my main PC onto a USB stick, then plug that USB into a laptop, write/reply to email, and then plug it back into the original PC to send them etc. Copies of sent emails will therefore be on the main PC.

Sort of an Outlook briefcase, that will synch the files somehow.

The main PC is at work, and I cant access webmail so I cant use that as a solution. Neither can I access the emails outside of work, or have access to wifi on the laptop.

Is this doable in any way? Are there USB based email programs, compatible with Outlook, that will allow me to write and reply to emails, even if I have to manually drag them from USB into the "outbox" of Outlook? Or can I drag the emails onto a folder on the USB and edit them on the laptop, then drag them back into Outlook?

Hope this makes sense!

Technotiger 21:03 17 Oct 2008

Best way to find out is to try it - this might help!

click here

ashdav 21:20 17 Oct 2008

You can access any email account using whatever email client you like (Thunderbird,Outlook as examples).
All you need are the logon account name and password.
Also if the email server uses imap or pop.
Is this a corporate or personal email address ?.

dmm27 12:28 18 Oct 2008

ashdav

the problem is I need to be able to access the email offline. It is a coorporate address.

I can get a work laptop, but they are like a brick. I would prefer to use my nice light IBM, but IT wont let that access the work internet etc.

MAJ 14:39 18 Oct 2008

Outlook's emails, folders, calendars, etc. are all stored in one PST file, so to do what you want, you would have to copy the whole PST file from the work PC, to your PC, replace your own PST file with the work PST file, do your editing, then copy the new PST file back to the work PC, replacing the old PST file.

MAJ 14:39 18 Oct 2008

Outlook's emails, folders, calendars, etc. are all stored in one PST file, so to do what you want, you would have to copy the whole PST file from the work PC, to your PC, replace your own PST file with the work PST file, do your editing, then copy the new PST file back to the work PC, replacing the old PST file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?