Can i disable cnr

jam500 13:40 18 Jan 2007

Hello, My 3rd pci slot is linked to the CNR slot, And my manual says that i cant use both. I have just moved everything to a new case and have not changed anything, When i first had the pc the cnr slot had the dial up modem in it and i wanted to add a pci usb card in the third and only slot left, So i took out the modem as i have broadband and put the pci usb card in the third pci slot and i cant remember if i disabled the cnr slot somehow or it just worked fine. The problem is when i boot up the pc it gets stuck on the select bios or boot device screen and no further, If i take the card up all is fine. Any help is appreciated. Im using xp.

ed-0 14:02 18 Jan 2007

It may be worth looking in the motherboard manual. This should tell you if there is the option to swap the IRQ of the CNR slot to a PCI slot. Do you know the make and model of the motherboard?

Or

swap the PCI devices around on the slots. Sometimes you will find that some PCI cards will not respond in lower slots but having a shuffle around sorts out the problem.

jam500 14:12 18 Jan 2007

Hi, The motherboard manual does not say, The motherboard is a gigabyte Ga-8siml. I will try the sound card in that slot and see what happens, But it worked before i moved the whole lot to a new case, ( this is the second time i have moved to a new case), I cant remember if i disabled it in windows or somewhere. I will search the gigabyte site too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017