Can I delete everything from my download folder?

Triprajul 03:10 09 Oct 2010

Greetings:

OK, I admit that this is a novice question but I am a computer novice so what would you expect. I have many things in my download folder. I have kept them because I am scared that if I delete them this will some how affect the program on my HDD. For example, I have Hitman.pro, file size 6158 KBs. Can I delete this with no consequence? Finally, do I understand this correctly? In the download folder, I simply get the "set-up" programs that I use to put the actual much larger programs on my HDD. Any advce given is greatly appreciated.

Kevscar1 05:27 09 Oct 2010

Yes you can delete everything there. These are just compreesed files that can be downloaded quiker that way. Once installed they are not needed.

lotvic 10:11 09 Oct 2010

If you want to keep them in case you need to reinstall anytime you could burn them to CD/DVD

iscanut 10:35 09 Oct 2010

As lotvic says, I would suggest you keep them just in case you need to re-install. I delete older ones when I download a newer version for instance, but in meantime, keep them on an external hard drive out of the way.

gengiscant 10:44 09 Oct 2010

This is a useful program to keep, for a lot of the more popular software we all have.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017