Can I delete desktop.ini?

john bunyan 09:51 02 Apr 2010

I do not know how it got there but a fil "desktop.ini" created on 20/11 2009 (I think on inatsll of W7) has appeared on my desktop. I am unsure if this is a copy so have not deleted it. How can I put it back from whence it came as I do not know where it was originally? In notepad it says:
[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected]%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799

john bunyan 09:55 02 Apr 2010

PS my system is W7 Ultimate.

Sea Urchin 10:07 02 Apr 2010

You have the Windows 7 desktop.ini bug

click here

BRYNIT 10:07 02 Apr 2010

It sounds as though you have Protected Operating System files showing.

In vista it may be the same in win7 click on computer/organize/folder and search options/view and make sure you have a tick against hide protected operating system files.

john bunyan 10:27 02 Apr 2010

Thanks very much. Will follow up and report back.

john bunyan 10:43 02 Apr 2010

Problem solved. I had switched on "Show hidden files" to find my stored e Mails. when I turned it off these desktop icons disappeared. The link Sea Urchin supplied mentioned to navigate to C:\ProgrammeData ... etc but I could not find that path. Anyway, problem solved - W7 has this quirk, but my old XP did not so you learn something every day. Thanks again.

Zeppelyn 14:28 02 Apr 2010

If you would rather Show hidden files then just cut and paste it into your Pictures Folder as thats what the desktop.ini relates to from the info you gave..

john bunyan 14:32 02 Apr 2010

Thanks also. I had a problem with my e mail that requested a scan of the e mail folder which is hidden, so I "unhid" the folders. I am quite happy now to leave the files hidden. I did use the pictures folder while the "unhid" option was on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017