Can I decrease size of Jpeg pictures?

johnoo 16:08 01 Dec 2009

i have some pictures in Jpeg format that I wish to decrease the size.
Can this be done?
I have thought of printing them and then scanning at a lower resolution, but this seems time consuming and a waste of printed output.
Hence is there any way of decreasing size direct from computer?

john bunyan 16:27 01 Dec 2009

What photo software do you use? There are free applications, but for example in Photoshop you open the photo then there is an "image", "image size" function where you can tell the file what size you want. For printing I keep 300 dpi, for the web or photoframes 72 dpi with the size as you wish . I believe Picassa is a free programme worth using.

peter99co 16:48 01 Dec 2009

I thought MS Paint would do this.

beeuuem 17:10 01 Dec 2009

Image Resizer from click here is quick and simple to use.

IRFANVIEW will also re-size jpegs download from here :-
click here

Noldi 18:00 02 Dec 2009

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

click here

Depends on operating system though.

Noldi

Pineman100 18:50 02 Dec 2009

What do you want to reduce their size for? Is it to upload them, or attach them to an email?

If so, there's a useful little free prgram called Shrink Pic that will do this automatically. You just set it to the image size that you require (basically small, medium or large), then whenever it is running in the background, the file size of any image that you upload or attach to an email is automatically shrunk.

I use it regularly.

click here

johnoo 19:07 02 Dec 2009

Pineman,
Nice one I like it!

click here

I use it regularly and find it superb.

You can either work with single files, or do a whole folder of images in one fell swoop. It's also fast and very easy to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?