Can I create a Monster?

Nebular 19:50 08 Nov 2010

Hi, thank you for accepting me as a member of your community & my apologies if this post is in the incorrect section.
I am toying with the idea of building myself a monster PC & wondered if I could ask you good people for some advice & opinions please.
I have built a few new builds, but this one is kind of expensive & need to be sure that the parts are up to the job & compatible. You may know of better parts & configurations for this build & your input would be very much appreciated.

The new parts:

Corsair HX 1000W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant Power Supply

24Gb Corsair XMS3 (6x 4Gb) PC3-10666 9-9-9-24 DDR3 RAM

NZXT Phantom Black ATX case

NZXT 200cm Sleeved LED Kit in Orange

Xigmatek XLF 140mm orange LED Case Fan

Intel Core i7 980x Extreme 3.33Ghz (Gulftown) (Socket LGA1366) Hexcore CPU

Asus Rampage III Extreme Intel X58 (Socket 1366) ATX DDR3 Motherboard

3 x Western Digital Caviar Green Power 2TB 64MB Cache Hard Disk Drive SATAII 300MB/s (6Tb total)

2 x Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-Ray ReWriter

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Sumvision Network Card 322O 300Mps PCI WIFI Adapter

Zalman CNPS9900-LED Dual Flower CPU Cooler

4 x XFX ATI Radeon 5970 Black 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

NZXT Sentry LX Touch Screen Dual 5.25" 5 Channel Fan and Temperature Controller

Corsair DOMINATOR Airflow Memory fan unit

Card Reader - USB 2.0 22-in-1 Card Reader with USB and FireWire Extension Ports

Approx £4600

Thanks in advance.

Who you building it for NASA? Why do you want to build such an expensive PC, theres only a certain amount you can do with it?

Nebular 20:26 08 Nov 2010

Funds allow me too, plus it's good for business.
NASA! My next project is a 3 manned mission to the nearest public house.

lotvic 20:27 08 Nov 2010

What programs are you intending to run on it, as pc specs are usually with an end use in mind.
i.e. gaming, video editing, etc.

That system is way out of my league.

OTT_B 20:37 08 Nov 2010

End use, as has already been said, is vital to know or there's no way of saying if it's "up to the job".....

OTT_B 20:43 08 Nov 2010

Ignoring final use....

For a £4600 PC, I would want one or more SSDs, an aftermarket CPU cooler (and generally better case cooling solution), HDD coolers and possibly an independent RAID controller for the 6TB of hard drives.

Nebular 20:43 08 Nov 2010

I would have to say that this would ultimately be a gaming PC, but what else would such a PC be capable of? & are the components compatable?

Devil Fish 21:01 08 Nov 2010

wooh overkill you could put together a high end rig for far less than that its ott in every way

but any hoo money no object

maybe inclined to swap the ati cards for nvidia
primary reason ATI doesnt support physix which for a gaming rig is usefull if you are intent on running 4 cards set one up to run physix on its own

Nebular 21:02 08 Nov 2010

liquid nitrogen and dry ice cooling? The thought of liquid mixed in with the hardware scares me to death. I'm not even a gas safe plummer!
Would an ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler be a better option?
I am worried as to the fixing stabillity of the Corsair DOMINATOR Airflow Memory fan unit, the info I have read gives it the thumbs up generally.

I am Spartacus 21:18 08 Nov 2010

You're planning on spending over £4000 on a system with £15 worth of cooling?

It's got to be water cooled.

Looking at your parts list it's hard to see where £4600 is actually going.

Nebular 21:24 08 Nov 2010

Devil Fish, may I ask what your high end system would be?
I did spend a whole lot of time pondering over Ati & Nvidia GPU's & almost went for nvidia, but the amount of info available for Ati kind of swung it for me but am interested in your input.
Nvidia seem to have lower spec's but a slightly better multipul compatibillity, why is this?
Would this system be able to steam 3D in HD?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone