Can I copy emails stored in my VM webmail to OE

Mister M 15:30 08 Jan 2011

I have a block of emails from Feb. 2009 to Dec 2010 which have 'disappeared' from my Outlook Express Inbox but the emails still appear in my Virgin Media webmail. Is it possible to transfer, copy or import emails stored in my Virgin Media webmail, into Outlook Express?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Graham. 15:37 08 Jan 2011

So the emails are still on the server. Are they marked as 'Read'? If so, mark them as 'Unread' and click on Send/Receive on OE.

Check your OL settings click here

Mister M 16:34 08 Jan 2011

Thanks Graham. Yes the emails lost in OE are still stored in my Virgin Media webmail. As a test, I ticked one in my webmail (which I know has disappeared from my OE Inbox) and from the dropdown menu selected 'mark as unread'. Clicked 'Go' and then got a message saying 'This conversation has been marked Unread'.

I then went to OE and clicked 'Send/Receive'. The box comes on the screen which checks for mail to be received but the email marked as Unread in my VM webmail is not delivered to OE.

Any other suggestions?

Graham. 19:28 08 Jan 2011

Have you checked OE configuration as my link?

Graham. 23:27 10 Jan 2011

Did you get your emails?

lotvic 23:49 10 Jan 2011

One way is to:
Make a New Identity in Outlook Express, configure the email account for your Virgin email and then collect all your emails. It will collect ALL the emails on your Virgin web mail Server.
Then put the block of emails from Feb. 2009 to Dec 2010 in a Folder of their own and then close the new Identity. Now open your 'proper' Identity and then Import the folder to it.

Mister M 18:17 15 Jan 2011

Quick update:

I have managed to retrieve some of my emails. I went into my VM webmail settings and ticked a box titled "Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)" I then went to OE, clicked "Send/Recv" and the emails started flooding in. They arrived in date order in blocks of about 300, so each time a block of 300 or so had finished being delivered, I hit "Send/Recv" again and the next block of 300 or so was delivered.

I did notice though that the earliest emails delivered into my OE only went back to 21st January 2010 and as such, I am still missing my emails from this date back to Feb 2009. I checked my VM webmail and the earliest emails which I have stored, coincidentally only go back to 21st January 2010 as well, hence the emails reinstated into OE only go back to this date.

I an now trying to establish if I can recover emails in my VM webmail which were received before 21st January 2010, back to Feb 09. I have had a look in my settings as I thought there may be an options tab to enable viewing of emails received within say the last 12 months, 24 months or 36 months etc. but I can't see that such a facility exists. I might give VM technical a ring and see if they have any ideas but if anyone has any other suggestions in the meantime, I would appreciate hearing from you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017