Can I copy driver downloads to CD or HD?

Stressed Mum 09:35 29 Nov 2009

Just reinstalled XP on kids pc - again!! This time however I forgot to backup the drivers :(( Consequently I cannot connect to the internet at all to even download them. so can I download them to my PC and copy the driver to install on their PC. XP Dell Inpsiration 2350. First appearances on XP install seem fine - but really stuck without internet. The PC can't even do plug and play now. Drivers badly needed!

Sparkly 09:41 29 Nov 2009

HiStressed Mum just download them and save to a memory stick and then run them on the other PC.

Stressed Mum 10:15 29 Nov 2009

ok - that's what I want to do - but when I click 'download' it asks if I want to save file - but not where to??

jack 10:15 29 Nov 2009

and other bitz n bobz I have stored in a dedicated folder on my external drive.
Saves a lot of hassle when a reload beckons.

Stressed Mum 10:17 29 Nov 2009

sorry - no it doesn't - it says - intall? Don't install? Obviously I don't want to install on my PC - is there another way? I am using Dell downloads

Stressed Mum 10:19 29 Nov 2009

I entered the Tag number in Dell downloads and it has located 9 driver downloads needed - what else will i need when you refer to other bits and bobs?

dastardly mutt 10:20 29 Nov 2009

Use Double Driver.

It is freeware and will store the drivers on your computer in .exe form.

After re-installation, double click on the .exe file stored on a USB stick or safe partition.

Stressed Mum 10:26 29 Nov 2009

Ah - think I'm ok at the moment - clicked 'install' and was then asked where to save - thought it would install immediately - will be back later no doubt - thanks. SM

Stressed Mum 11:11 29 Nov 2009

So far so good - now have internet access so should be able to download hardware drivers and software directly - lexmark are a bunch of 'silly people' though - can't provide drivers for their printers?? Plug and play can't find it either. Tra la la.

sharpamat 11:49 29 Nov 2009

Just make a folder on your system you can save to that folder then transfer them to disc Etc you will than keep a backup

beeuuem 11:52 29 Nov 2009

The UK site seems a bit 'iffy' click here
slow to open. The US site is quicker click here
Which driver are you looking for?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017