Can I connect these speakers to my computer?

  kikuta 16:33 26 Dec 2006

This is a link to the photo of the back of the speakers in question:

click here

My soundcard supports 7.1 sound and is manafactured by creative. There are two of thse speakers and no subwoofer.

These are currently connected to my dads system: a cd player connected to an external amplifier, which is then connected to these speakers.

I dont expect that there is an adapter I can buy to allow me to connect these to my sound card, but if there is it would save me alot of money and give me better sound quality as these are very good speakers.

If anyone knows of a connection method, please let me know.

An alternative question: IF this is not possible, then I will buy some new speakers - these are the ones I have in mind:
click here
The only thing that concerns me is the output level, at 31 watts. How loud is this? There are other 1.2 systems at 200 watts, can someone give me an idea as to how loud this system will be at 31 watts?

Thank you

  kikuta 17:01 26 Dec 2006

Oh one more thing as I cant edit - I also have an amilifier of sorts for my guitar, if that helps in soem crazy way :)

  eedcam 17:51 26 Dec 2006

may be wrong but I would'nt think of connecting those speakers to the pc.they look as if they would probably need a dedicated amp as your dad uses .As for watts well you dont hear watts and it is not a true indication of how loud it will sound. A setup claiming 200 watts could sound less loud than a 30 watt or vice versa so if you can find some kind of review of a system I would be guided by that more than Wattage claims.

  Stuartli 21:27 26 Dec 2006

It's highly unlikely that your sound card would drive such speakers unless you connect its output to an amplifier first and then to the speakers.

  QuizMan 23:38 26 Dec 2006

I agree with Stuartli. My set up is to connect and old amplifier to the LINE IN socket on my soundcard and run a pair of equally old hi-fi speakers through the amp. Works a treat with the added bonus that I can connect a turntable to the amp too and use sound-editing software to transfer old vinyl to CD.

  woodchip 23:53 26 Dec 2006

The speakers have to use a Amp. Computer Speakers have a small Amp built into one of the Speakers but the ones you show are for connection to a Amp. So you would have to plug the amp into the sound card and speakers into the Amp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone