can i connect freeveiw set top box to comp

davro 19:50 19 Mar 2005

i have dell dimension 8100 1.7 ghz 512 rdram 160gb h/d is it possible to connect digital tv free veiw box to my computer and can i record onto hard drive and burn back onto dvd at good full screen quality? do i need software to record to hard drive ? thanks

Joe R 19:55 19 Mar 2005

davro,

you will also need a pci digital tv card.

Joe R 19:56 19 Mar 2005

or,

usb or firewire versions.

Graham ® 19:59 19 Mar 2005

You will need a TV card in the PC. Look on google or Teoma.

SEASHANTY 23:48 19 Mar 2005

Avermedia PCI or USB DVB tuners
click here

SEASHANTY 23:58 19 Mar 2005

You should also be able to connect your Freeview box if your graphics card supports TV in. The connection may present a bit of a problem. Most Freeview boxes have a scart connection whereas TV in graphics are usually S-VIDEO or composite RCA
(phono socket). Sound is normally direct to the
sound card (or possibly a stereo jack socket). You
would therefore need a suitable adaptor for this
setup. Its usually the same TV input connectors if
you just purchase a PCI TV card. click here

SEASHANTY 00:02 20 Mar 2005

Another website you may find useful
click here

roy 00:08 20 Mar 2005

Bookmarked

Stuartli 09:36 20 Mar 2005

The simplest and most appropriate solution has already been suggested - a PCI Freeview TV card.

I have a Twinhan VisionPlus DTV ter Freeview card, which cost just over £50 including delivery from click here; it brings in all the 70+ Freeview TV and radio stations from Winter Hill.
In addition it has a neat remote control, Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) and you can record to your hard drive. I've not used the recording side as I have a Nicam VCR.

Picture and sound quality of the Twinhan are first class but the latest driver is about 40MB+ (2.43) so broadband would be a help. I got my son, who has broadband, to download it for me. Apparently it's the same basic driver as used by Hauppauge.

The Twinhan will happily perform on a 500MHz CPU system upwards and is also fully compatible with HDTV if and when it becomes available (1.6MHz system upwards), one reason why it is such a popular card in Australia.

There's a satellite alternative available along with external USB models.

More details at:

click here

SEASHANTY 11:53 20 Mar 2005

Assume from your thread title that you already own a Freeview box that you wish to connect to your PC.
If your graphics card has a coaxial aerial in socket and your Freeview box has a modulated output then you could connect this direct by coax cable.
Unfortunately very few STB have a modulator and to purchase one separately would cost around £26 inc
vat and postage click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires