can i compress AVI files

Stiperstones 21:29 16 Mar 2006

I'm desgining a website for a project and have to limit it to 15mb. I have four video clips approx. 6mb 9mb 11mb and 13mb. I'd like to keep these but the size is too big. Is there anyway i can compress these? I'm using ms fontpage 2003. I can only use AVI files or MP3 files.Any useful ideas or comments appreciated. si

wobblymike 21:58 16 Mar 2006

i think you meam mpeg files not mp3 - if so you can download a free conversion facility called avi2vcd.

woodchip 22:05 16 Mar 2006

Only way is to convert them to Mpeg all stils should be jpeg or gif

anchor 10:08 17 Mar 2006

You could use the free Windows Movie Maker version 2, if you have WinXP.

You could import your avi files, and export them as wmv files; you can select the preferred size of the output file. WMV files are readily played in Windows media player, which comes with all versions of windows.

woodchip 10:24 17 Mar 2006

WMV = mpeg4

anchor 10:30 17 Mar 2006

To illustrate what I mean, I have taken a one minute section of an avi file from my camcorder, run it through windows movie maker, compressed it to 945Kb, and you can see the result here.

click here

Of course, less compression would give higher quality, but download times are important.

anchor 10:50 17 Mar 2006

woodchip:

Do you mean that wmv the same as mpeg4?. I thought they were different.

woodchip 12:08 17 Mar 2006

I have a Video Camera that is Mpeg4 or asf = click here

off-shoot

click here

anchor 12:39 17 Mar 2006

Stiperstones:

I see that you are using Front Page 2003 so probably you wish to have your video on the web. To show you how the link to the wmv file would work, I have made this link to it.

click here

Stiperstones 19:24 17 Mar 2006

anchor, when I tried to view your example I got

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the server is not responding. If you entered a URL or path to play the file, verify that it is correct. If you clicked a link to play the file, the link may not be valid.

Woodchip, thanks for the comments.

All, I'll try over the weekend to use your suggestions and come back on Sunday. Si

anchor 09:07 18 Mar 2006

Stiperstones: That is strange!.

I have just checked both links again, and all is working fine. I have sent an e-mail to a friend to ask him to check them for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)