Can I change file format to a windows media file?

confused21 00:00 15 Nov 2007

I've saved some files (movies, videos) on my memory stick and the have been saved as FILE under file type. I need to edit them in windows movie maker but when I open the programme it doesn't recognise them from the stick as they aren't in windows media format. I've right clicked to get to properties to try to change the file format but it doesn't give me the option to.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

brundle 00:17 15 Nov 2007

2 factors;

1.what format were the movies that you saved?
2.do you have Hide Known File Extensions enabled in XP?
click here

If you saved .mov format movies which is a common format for digital cameras, WMM won't be able to read them at all.

DieSse 00:40 15 Nov 2007

"I've right clicked to get to properties to try to change the file format but it doesn't give me the option to."

The file format is not a property in that sense. It's how the whole structure of the data is put together.

You cannot just change file formats, the whole file must be run through a converter program to change from one format to another.

There is no such file type (file format) as FILE - I think you may have misunderstood what was happening. If you follow brundles suggestion to find what type you actually saved the files as - then we might be able to find a converter for you.

The file format is identified by the file extension name - the bit that comes after the dot - and as brundle points out, it may be hidden - you need to unhide it to see and tell us what it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?