can I change dual boot order

bluenote 22:20 07 Apr 2004

I have xp on two partitions but I would like to change the boot order.Is it possible.If so how.

bluenote 23:06 07 Apr 2004

can anyone help

GaT7 23:08 07 Apr 2004

Might this help? - click here

AndySD 23:09 07 Apr 2004

Start then Run type in

msconfig

click OK choose Boot.ini

powerless 23:11 07 Apr 2004

For a graphical view.

Start, Control Panel, System, Advanced, Settings [third]

You change defualt os from here.

temp003 03:37 08 Apr 2004

Use AndySD's suggestion which shows you the contents of the boot.ini file.

Under the section [operating systems], you will see 2 lines. In each line, the words in quotation marks are what appear in the Startup boot menu.

The later copy of XP is usually the top line, and set as the default OS. You can confirm that by looking at the partition number. It should be partition(n) where n is 2 or a larger number, depending on where you installed the later copy.

The original copy of XP should be in partition(1).

Highlight the line that refers to partition(1) and click the "Move Up" button to move it to the top. If you want to set the original XP as the default OS, click "Set as Default" as well. Click OK. Then restart immediately (even if you want to make further changes to boot.ini as suggested below).

If you want the menu to distinguish the 2 copies of XP (instead of both having the same name), you will need to edit the words in quotation marks in each line manually.

To do that, click Start, Run, type c:\boot.ini and press Enter. The file will open in Notepad.

Then change the words in quotation marks as you like (you can put whatever words you like there). For example, call the one in partition(1) "XP original", and the other "XP backup". Don't change anything else. Click File, Save. Exit Notepad. Restart. The boot menu will show the new descriptions, which makes it easier to tell one copy from the other.

bluenote 22:30 08 Apr 2004

thanks all used msconfig ,now exactly as i want it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?