Can I backup or copy Outlook files using Linux

Jonno131 16:20 14 May 2008

I'm pretty sure I'm facing a reformat and reinstal scenario and want to make sure I dont lose my Outlook adddress book and mail in the process.
I was advised to set up the account to "Keep a copy on the server." Does this mean I can recover everything from the server after I reinstal?
Alternatively, can I copy everything from my HD before I reformat? If so can someone tell me where to look as I cant seem to find an Outlook folder.
Incidentally, the reinstal is forced by a complete lock up with the HD light burning permanently (but Task Manager showing little or no CPU activity) which a Repair instal failed to sort out and now I cant access Windows at all - not even Safe mode as the boot hangs at "Loading your settings."
If anyone can think of anything to try I would be grateful.

Thanks
Fortunately, I can boot into Linux and can copy data etc from the HD

MAT ALAN 16:22 14 May 2008

click here

this may help...

Jonno131 16:29 14 May 2008

Thanks Mat Alan. Can you tell me the path to the Outlook Drectory in Windows XP Home?

MAT ALAN 16:34 14 May 2008

click here

good luck...

Diodorus Siculus 16:35 14 May 2008

C:\documents and settings\username\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook

That is the default location.

Jonno131 17:15 14 May 2008

Thanks both but I cant get into Windows and I got as far as Microsoft on the path, but no Outlook PST Folder. Anyone know about recovering mail from the server?

Diodorus Siculus 17:59 14 May 2008

Will your version of linux allow you to search?

If so, can you search for a file called *.pst ?

Diodorus Siculus 18:00 14 May 2008

As for recovering mail from server, if you are using pop3 and have ticked the option to leave the mail on the server, it should be available when you try to use another mail program.

Diodorus Siculus 18:01 14 May 2008

Just to be sure: it was Outlook you use, and not Outlook express?

Diodorus Siculus 18:02 14 May 2008

Outlook express keeps mail addresses in the file *.wab

ie windows address book

MAT ALAN 18:03 14 May 2008

click here

click here

these may help...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?