Can I add SATA Internal & PATA external Drives ?

Furkin 11:23 29 Aug 2008

ACER T120 - XP Pro SP3 – 2gb ram – KT/KM40 Mobo.

I want to add an external HDD to my system. It currently has 2 HDDs: Seagate 120gb C: and WD 40gb D: - both IDE/PATA.
I was about to go down the SATA route & get a 500gb drive + eSATA PCI Card + eSATA case.
Now I would prefer to have the bigger / new SATA drive as my internal C: & use my existing 120g PATA as External (& if poss leave the WD 40g as a slave)
I was told by a friend that I can’t do this – it just isn’t possible – but I can’t see why !

1/ Can I put a SATA as Internal drive C: (via PCI Sata card) and utilise my 120g PATA as an external ?

2/ Will my mobo/bios allow booting from a PCI card ?

3/ Do I have to have 2 (or 3) of the same type (SATA or PATA) to make things work ?

4/ If I really have to, I s’pose I could get 2 SATA drives – a big one for C: & a smaller (cheaper) one for external,,,, but I like to utilise what I already have if I can.

Any help, advice or opinions appreciated – but bear in mind that as I’m disabled, my budget is pretty limited, but if I can ‘future proof’ my system, then I want to try

Thanks for reading this

Ditch999 16:12 29 Aug 2008

1/ No. Your BIOS will probably not recognise SATA as a boot option.

2/ Doubtful, but you could go in to it and see what your options are for booting. If it list SCSI or SATA it may be possible but I wouldn't count on it.

3/ No. You can mix them, you just need a PATA drive to boot from. The SATA drive would have to be used as additional storage via a PCI card.

Your best option IMHO would be leave the 120GB drive as it is (C: drive with OS) and add another 500GB PATA as a slave, removing the old 40GB WD one.

Ditch999 16:17 29 Aug 2008

A WD Caviar SE16 500GB (Part Code WD500AAKB) is nearly as fast as a SATA drive and costs less than £55 click here

GaT7 18:26 29 Aug 2008

Yes, but dependent on motherboard & BIOS as you realise...

Yes, if you use a SATA PCI card (click here) & CAN SET the system to boot from the PCI card/SATA drive in the BIOS.

What boot options does the BIOS have?

If it can (boot from the PCI/SATA), you'll need to do a fresh install of Windows on the SATA drive. You have the original disk & product key don't you?

If it cannot, you can always use the drive for extra storage. You can get a 500Gb SATA II drive for ~35-40 these days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?