Can external souncard replace defunct audio chip?

Walpole 15:15 17 Jan 2008

There is no sound on my Toshiba A40 Satellite Pro laptop. I believe this dates back to the time when the computer was subject to a surge due to lightning which fried the modem. (Have managed with external modems since.) I have been advised that the audio chip on the motherboard is nbg.
Is it feasible to obtain sound using an external soundcard or device, preferably a USB one as the single PCMIA slot is in use?
Will appreciate your advice.

Walpole

xania 15:31 17 Jan 2008

You can get USB sound cards,

click here

but you may have to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS before it will work.

Walpole 20:31 17 Jan 2008

Hi Xania, thanks for responding.
Forgive my ignorance but if I bought an ext usb soundcard as described below would it produce all the usual sounds made by the computer in general use, as well as play cds and dvds, despite the motherboard audio chip not working?
Would it play through the speakers incorporated in the laptop or would external speakers be required.
As you can gather I'm a bit dumb on this issue!!!
Here's a description:

"Enjoy 5.1 sound on your computer with the Muse Pocket LT external sound card.
Comapct and user-friendly, the Muse Pocket LT is equally as well suited to your desktop PC or notebook using a simple USB connection.
Direct Sound, EAX tehcnology and the Sensaura audio engine will create the most realistic ambiances for your games, films and music.
The Muse Pocket LT will thrill you with the ease of use and sound quality."
Thanks for taking the time,
Walpole

xania 08:53 18 Jan 2008

Anything you plug into a socket will process thought the mobo and I would expect the provided drivers will direct the sound to the speakers in the same way as any other sound device. However, you will have to read the instructions that come with the device.

click here

then accept the agreement to download the manual for this device

click here

Walpole 09:12 18 Jan 2008

Xania
Thank you very much for your advice. I'll go get a usb soundcard.
Walpole

100andthirty 21:43 18 Jan 2008

be aware that this, nor any other USB sound card will play through the laptop's speakers if the laptop sound chip is defunct. You would need to connect external amplified speakers to the sound card (or headphones!)

Walpole 15:45 19 Jan 2008

OK, thank you 130. Will follow yr advice.
Walpole.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires