Can an email be dangerous without opening it

YinHoNg 21:47 10 Jul 2006

I use hotmail for one of my email accounts and i was wondering if it was possible for an email to attack my computer just by me RECEIVING the email, not even opening it?

VoG II 21:48 10 Jul 2006

No.

SG Atlantis® 21:53 10 Jul 2006

unless you have the preview pane in outlook enabled?

do you use outlook or access your mail on the web?

YinHoNg 22:00 10 Jul 2006

i do use outlook yes.... i'm assuming this makes a big difference?

YinHoNg 08:17 12 Jul 2006

bump

So would it still be dangerous for outlook to download the message.

What about just opening an email WITHOUT clicking any links inside it..... is that potentially dangerous?

bellababy 08:25 12 Jul 2006

YinHong.
Try eprompter from <click here> you can look at and read the basic message from up to 16 mail address's without downloading them, if you think they are suspicious you just delete, then download the safe ones to outlook or whatever.

€dstowe 08:26 12 Jul 2006

I check all my emails on ePrompter before downloading. Anything even slightly suspicious, I read on the server before downloading and if it looks even slightly dodgy it is deleted without ever being downloaded.

click here

I'm not certain if it works on Hotmail as I don't use that service but it does work on Yahoo mail, G-mail and other web based email services.

bellababy 08:39 12 Jul 2006

Snap, it does work on Hotmail. it so simple and a great little programme.

YinHoNg 08:39 12 Jul 2006

Thanks for the link bella/cdstowe but i'd really like to stay with outlook since i'm really familiar with it now.

So is it actually dangerous that outlook downloads my webmail messages even if i don't open them or click any links in them?

€dstowe 09:18 12 Jul 2006

I also use Outlook. ePrompter is only for checking your emails before download onto YOUR machine.

You check that they are OK, delete the suspect ones and then download into whichever email client reader is appropriate.

p;3 10:29 12 Jul 2006

once a mail is in your outlook program you have to deal with it somehow;it is on you machine; if you use a program that keeps unwanted mail OFF your machine, you can deal with that mail on the server, via whatever program you are using for that, such as mentioned above , or the mailwasher program that I utilise;I find it best to keep all unwanted mails OFF my machine and at the server end so I only have mails I want ON my machine; there is the risk of having on your machine an unwanted mail and clicking on it or an attachement in it that then could infect your machine; the main harm I perceive is that of infection from the mail, ; my view is that if you do not want the mail on your machine, utilise one of the programs on offer ( mailwasher is free)to check the server and delete from there as appropriate;

also; my OE is not programed to check server at all but my mailwsher does that for me, so I have on my machine only those mails I wish to have; the rest are deleted from server by mailwasher at my command; choice of program is of course up to you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?