Can a computer game be the cause of a PC problem?

Adam Patrick 21:19 12 Nov 2009

Hi

I have a common problem with my PC - I came in from work one day to find absoulutely no power, no response at all to pressing power button.

I have looked at other very helpful posts on this forum and am currently going through a list of things to try out (eg testing POwer On button, disconnecting both leads going into HDD and will probably try a new PSU tomorrow)

The question I would like to ask is, can a game cause this problem. The game I am thinking of is Football Manager. You may wonder if I am totally naive asking this and it may be a total long shot

I have read in the past about that game and people have said when asked what would happen if you were to load all leagues possible and have them all "playable", to whcih some people have said "You could do it but it would fry your processor". I know this is probably very much a figure of speech but was wondering if anyone could say it was possible. I was going to put it on a Football Manager forum but thought they may not take too kindly to it.

I mainly think they mean by that statement, that it would take everything your processor has and PC would slow to a crawl, but could anyone shed any light on this?

Forum Editor 23:04 12 Nov 2009

of that you can be sure. The only thing that can do that is an over-voltage or overheating.

The culprit may very well be the Power Supply Unit (PSU), assuming you've already checked for a blown fuse in the power plug.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?