Can' Change MS Word 2003 normal.dot Template

User-064D8D8D-326C-46F0-A5916820C563BECF 00:05 14 Jul 2009

I do not seem to be able to change settings in my Word doucument template "normal.dot" and have the changes stick. Something as minor as changing the default font doesn't work. When I open the file Arial is the default. If I change the font to Times New Roman via any source "format", toolbar, etc) and then Save and close the document, it is back to Arial when I open it next time. I don't want automatic bullets and numbering but they seem to reappear. I can be in the middle of a document and all of a sudden automatic indents and numbering turn on, hanging indents appear, etc. Any ideas?

DieSse 00:49 14 Jul 2009

When normal.dot os corrupted, there tends to be lots of odd things happen with formats inside documents, as you describe.

The cure is to delete (or rename) normal.dot. Word will reconstitute it when Word is started again.

Ifind it better not to try and change normal.dot, but to make a template how I like, then save it as "mynormal.dot" and use that one. Tends to cause less issues with old docs created with the standard normal.dot.

"Save and close the document" - You don't do that to make a template - you must Save As - and choose file type Template (.dot) for it.

Thanks for your help. I deleted normal.dot, Win created a new one, it accepted my perameters and all is well in the universe. I can't believe that MS doesn't tell you to use the "Save As" instead of just "Save" as you would with any other document you change.

Anyway, thank you very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?