Can anyone recommend a good ext HDD?

Drusen 10:36 04 Jan 2009

I've got a couple of things to ask:

1. I'm looking for an external HDD to use for backing up my C: drive, but I'm not sure which makes are the most reliable. I've read some reviews and have not been impressed.

2. If my internal HDD drive were to fail, and its contents had been backed up on the ext HDD, would I be right in thinking that I would have to install the operating system on to the new int HDD first and then transfer the old contents on to it from the ext HDD? (It can't be simple.)

Thanks.

dogtrack 11:02 04 Jan 2009

Lacie d2 1TB is good value and connects either by USB2/Firewire/eSata....take your pick

crosstrainer 11:35 04 Jan 2009

Seagate Freeagent:

(750 GB) got one for Christmas, and is still boxed, but seems great (USB 2 Required though)

click here

canarieslover 12:42 04 Jan 2009

If you don't want the hassle of re-installing if your internal hard drive fails then think of getting a caddy and another hard drive for it that is compatible with your machine. Partition the hard drive in the caddy and clone your hard drive to the first partition. Second partition can be used for other data back-up. Redo the clone after major software instals or regularly, once a month, so that you catch recent OS and antivirus updates. This drive should then be usable as a direct replacement for internal drive if that fails.

crosstrainer 14:27 04 Jan 2009

All these drives are best use in conjunction with a full backup programme:

click here

Gives a complete one stop restore backup, preventing a complete re-install of Windows.

Cheap? No

Good?

The best

Drusen 15:06 04 Jan 2009

Thanks for the replies.

If I used canarieslover's internal HDD/caddy suggestion and Acronis to back up the c:drive, how would I get that back-up drive to function as the new c:drive once it's installed in the PC?

crosstrainer 18:30 04 Jan 2009

Install the drive (format to NTFS)
Install Acronis:

Run and select from the options available
:

Full backup / IE: my computer to start with

a;way's make a recovery CD as prompted.

Drusen 20:14 05 Jan 2009

Thanks for that crosstrainer.

Being almost totally ignorant regarding this subject, I'm still not absolutely sure about what I would have to do if the c: drive failed.

I was hoping that the HDD in the caddy would, thanks to Acronis, just sit there as a potential c: drive waiting to be intalled in the PC and, as soon as it was, it would just boot up and take over where the failed HDD left off.

canarieslover 20:22 05 Jan 2009

Thats the way I cloned my hard drive and then used it as a replacement at a later date. If its an IDE drive it should be jumpered to Master to use in the caddy anyway so it is just a case of taking it out of the caddy and putting it into your PC in place of your original hard drive. If its SATA then it doesn't even need to have jumpers checked (there aren't any).

Drusen 21:20 05 Jan 2009

The penny is beginning to descend - thank you.

Okay, the (SATA) HDD is sitting in its caddy (AKA HDD enclosure?) Thanks to Acronis, all the data from the C:drive will be on it(including DOS/Windows, etc); then, the C:drive fails. I remove the C:drive from the PC, unplug the back-up drive from its caddy and install it in the PC. When the PC boots up, it will recognise the new SATA HDD as the master or new C:drive. Am I right?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?