Can Anyone Recommend an ADSL Modem Router?

ame 12:25 06 Aug 2007

I am on Tiscali 2Mb broadband and have a desktop & laptop. My kids have Nintendo DS & Wii, and Sony PSP. I stay in a relatively modern 2 storey house with plasterboard walls and wooden floors. The router will be on the ground floor at the main BT phone box but the computers etc are mainly used upstairs.

Every time I read customer reviews of modem routers I get frightened off by setup difficulties, poor speed or range, unreliability of connection and breakdowns.

Can any of you experts suggest a few models that are easy to set up and reliable, please?

Much appreciated!

P1d 13:31 06 Aug 2007

I can recommend Draytek. I've had my router now for approximately 4 years and haven't had a single problem. I get a excellent wireless signal anywhere in the house (older built brick walls etc) as well as the garden. I've not used it to connect to DS and Wii so can't comment there sorry.

The router is easy to setup with the setup wizard and has excellent levels of security.

They are quite expensive though and it may do a lot more than you want it to but they are very good quality....click here for a newer version of the one I use.

I've setup numerous routers for people including Netgear, Linksys, D-Link and they were all relatively easy to set up and I haven't been called back to any problems with them.

I hope this helps.

mgmcc 13:33 06 Aug 2007

One of the most popular and reliable Modem/Routers is the Netgear DG834G and its variants. Otherwise, look at models from the mainstream manufacturers - Belkin, Linksys, D-Link.

ame 13:36 11 Aug 2007

Thanks Guys.

DrayTek a bit too expensive for what I want. Seen some bad comments about Netgear DG834, although it seems to be a very popular buy.

I'll keep searching....

Dipso 17:13 11 Aug 2007

I had a Netgear DG834 and it worked very well on 1 and 2 Meg but when I upgraded to ADSL Max it had a problem reporting the noise margin correctly and my line became unstable, I later found this to be quite common.

On recommendation I went for a Speedtouch 585v6 as a replacement which was very stable on ADSL Max compared to the Netgear but the wireless range wasn't as good

I have since gone for a different model Netgear, the more recent DG834N and this is rock solid compared to it's older brother plus the wireless range can stretch 300metres. I think it depends on the model really and the firmware.

P1d 17:34 11 Aug 2007

You could look at Linksys who are a division of Cisco (the market leader for networking equipment).

click here
or
click here

P1d

rouflab 09:23 20 Dec 2007

DO NOT BUY NETGEAR PRODUCTS I have had three Netgear Routers two 834gt models, the first one went belly up in 3 months and I was charge $$$$$$$$ to have a replacement sent under warranty NOT ON. then after a year it went down OUT of WARRANTY I had to buy another one and guess what it went down JUST out of warranty. then i decided to buy the DG834N in Sept 2007 and after 3 months guess it what WENT DOWN, now having this replaced under warranty and they tried to charge me $$$$$$$$$$$$ for replacement I said no so now a replacement being sent in approx 7 days. it appears these do not last more than 13 months at the most, thus causing a new purchase, i feel i have been ripped off by Netgear as their products do not last. DO NOT BUY NETGEAR WIRELESS ROUTERS BUY ANOTHER MAKE UNLESS YOU WISH TO BE PURCHASING REPACEMENTS EVERY 13 MONTHS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017