Can ANYONE cure the fan prob on HP Pavilions?

buel 22:47 21 Jan 2010

Hi, my gf has a HP Pavilion Dv4 laptop and it's fan is extremely loud/on full power for 90% of the time evenwhen it is propped up off the hard surface that is our table. I have Googled this and it seems it is certainly a problem...but i have yet to find a proper cure!!
For example, i have disabled the fan from it's 'Always on' setting to 'off' but still no luck!!
Please can anyone help?

OTT_B 22:55 21 Jan 2010

This may be of interest

"Update the BIOS to the latest version
The new BIOS release for your notebook PC is preventative in nature to reduce the likelihood of future system issues. The BIOS updates the fan control algorithm of the system, and turns the fan on at low volume while your notebook PC is operational. If you are currently experiencing any symptoms on your notebook PC, please contact HP for support."

click here

buel 07:18 22 Jan 2010

Great help, thank you, but her laptop is a Dvd4 and that isn't listed! :0(

buel 07:18 22 Jan 2010

Great help, thank you, but her laptop is a Dvd4 and that isn't listed! :0(

OTT_B 12:54 22 Jan 2010

Sorry, buel, I should have been more specific. It was really only pointing out that there is a history of HP laptops with this kind of issue. I.e. it may have been of interest, not a fix!

Contacting HP support is probably a good idea so that it can be reported.

badhair1963 04:21 23 Jan 2010
  buel 07:55 23 Jan 2010

Thank you OTT_B and badhair1963, really appreciate your help!!

buel 20:18 28 Feb 2010

Quick update:
It would appear that using a can of compressed air once a week to clean the fan does the job perfectly!
I hope this helps everyone!!

buel 20:19 28 Feb 2010

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017