Can anyone advise me on Humax please

bumpkin 21:48 03 Jun 2015

I do not watch a great deal of TV but when I do I would like to have more choice. I have freeview at the moment but do not wish to watch Dads Army or Bullseye or anything else that has been repeated ad nausea. Never had a Humax and just understood it to be a modern video recorder.

I could Google this but I know many here have these and I would prefer their opinions and advice as to what it can do and the best one to get.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:05 03 Jun 2015

Freeview - aerial

Freestat - satellite

or a youview box that comes with a subscription service such as BT TV or virgin

bumpkin 23:20 03 Jun 2015

Normal TV aerial but a fairly new and expensive decent one, no signal problems. The "Free View" is via the TV no seperate box or any subsciption .

AroundAgain 23:39 03 Jun 2015

Yep, I have Humax for FreeSat

Certainly more channels to choose from but still the same old repeats ;) If you get one with hard drive, you can record programmes which you feel are of interest. I didn't want to pay for Sky, hence just the dish and Humax.

It does mean yet another remote control to lose, though ;)

I'm pleased I have moved from FreeView to FreeSat, I have to say

robin_x 23:59 03 Jun 2015

Sorry I just stuck a reply in the other thread I'll repeat here the other one can be deleted

Humax were the Gold Standard but not sure if they still are

The name for the boxes is Personal Video Recorder (PVR)

A modern Skybox is the same thing for satellite

And you can also get Freesat boxes if you have a dish but no Sky subscription or box

click here

A PVR only gives you ability to pause, rewind, record Freeview channels

You need Satellite for more channels

Or there are more advanced boxes with subscriptions and you stream on demand over an Internet connection

Personally I am happy with my free Freeview PVRs

You quickly build up a library of recordings to watch when there's nothing on telly

robin_x 00:02 04 Jun 2015

Most boxes can record 2 channels at the same time and you may be able to watch an additional different one on some

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 00:07 04 Jun 2015

Got a smart TV? get a netflix or similar subscription to download box sets and films if you want more to watch.

conrail 09:56 04 Jun 2015

had freesat for years, can record 2 programs at once, plenty of HD channels, easy to set up, input your post code and away you go, can set up programs up to a week ahead and use series link, it's so simple and if you don't like old programs then no Dave or UK Gold to choose, no charges either, hope this helps

conrail 09:58 04 Jun 2015

forgot to add, look through any TV paper and it will tell you which channels are free-view, free-sat, sky or virgin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?