Can all files types get a virus?

cdb 23:22 25 Oct 2004

Or are any, pictures for example immune? I'm just wondering if I can speed up my virus search by not scanning pictures or music for example.

stalion 00:03 26 Oct 2004

you need to scan all files there are viruses now incoporated in to jpegs

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:20 26 Oct 2004

In theory, yes..in practice it is quite rare if you have a decent AV. Personally I never set a virus scan and rely on AVG free to do its' job...which it does.

G

cdb 17:28 26 Oct 2004

Well, I have Norton and it seems to do the job.
Guess I'll just have to start watching telly when I set the virus scan.
Cheers guys.

bertiecharlie 17:37 26 Oct 2004

cdb.

I can only speak for Norton Anti-virus 2003 but on the odd occasion I do a scan with it, I just minimise it and carry on using the computer.

Tycho 17:59 26 Oct 2004

I would have agreed with Gandalf until three weeks ago. I always have AVG loaded and running and update at least once a fortnight and immediatley if a virus scare hits the news. AVG has detected lots of viruses in mail, but only one virus in a scan. That was three weeks ago and I suppose that AVG destroyed it OK, bhut it was there and AVG had not detected it as it arrived. It was infecting a file in my daughter's "Documents and settings" folder so she might have brought it in ion a floppy.

Keep scanning.

N

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?