can acronis be tested ?

worcesterman47 08:45 22 Oct 2008

hi, finally managed to back up all my system with acronis ( used an external drive not discs again :)anyway, i have done a full back up & created a boot disc..is there anyway i can confirm that it will work in the event of a pc "meltdown"..as it would seem a waste of time to get a pc crash & then find ACRONIS does not work for some reason..any advice /help would be greatly appreciated

cocteau48 08:53 22 Oct 2008

You could partition your hard drive,even just temporarily just for the purposes of this experiment,and try recovery into the newly created empty partition. (assuming you have enough empty space on your HD)
Personally I have used the Acronis recovery function dozens of times and have never yet had a failure although I do validate every backup automatically when it is taken.

Technotiger 09:00 22 Oct 2008

You could use the option within Acronis to Validate the integrity of a back-up.

To invoke the Validation wizard, click Validate Backup Archive on the toolbar.

worcesterman47 09:01 22 Oct 2008

sadly, do not have enough free space to partition...i have also validated but that does not really define whether acronis would actually work when required...i have no doubts it will...but i would like to be fully prepared...any other options available to try it? thanks once again

Technotiger 09:09 22 Oct 2008

I guess you just have to accept, that like everything else in our lives, nothing is certain. However you obviously have taken all the precautions that you or anyone can, so from here you simply need to be as careful as you can to try to ensure that your Acronis archive will not actually be needed in anger! There is no 100% certainty in the computing world.

Diemmess 09:21 22 Oct 2008

You have to trust Acronis eventually.
You seem to have done all the right things.

Browsing this forum, in the rare event that Acronis doesn't do the trick, there seems to be an external cause.
Such as customising and short cuts that seemed a good idea at the time!

One possiblity for trouble is to try and run Acronis with too little free space, again I think Acronis will flag this in good time.

Long term, if you want to make less work of backing up the system drive, take all data folders away from that drive to one of their own.

This will make the System drive leaner, and much faster to back up or restore

howard64 11:00 22 Oct 2008

if you are happy to tinker with the insides of your pc why not buy a cheap hard drive that would suit your mobo. Then unplug your normal hdd and plug the new one in and run your backup. If the system then boots and appears to run correctly you know the system works ok. New drives of quite a reasonable size are available for £25 up. You will then also have a good backup for the day that your existing drive does not work.

prince midas 11:16 22 Oct 2008

I have been using Drive Image backups for at least 10 years or more starting wih Drive Image,Ghost, Acronis etc and have done dozens of full restores with no problem.

My advice is make sure you understand how Acronis etc works fully.
Do a full image.
Then do a validation to make sure it can validate its contents fully.
Most people stop then but I suggest you restore a particular file such as a file in a directory you have created called Test which you have created before you make the image.

If it restores this test file you are 90% certain that it works.I restore on a regular basis as I remove programs I do not want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?