Can a 32 bit system take a 3Ghz processor?

martingroundsell 17:32 24 Apr 2010

I currently have a Dell PC which is about 2 years old, however to edit the video I have taken with my HD camcorder the Adobe Premier Elements software says I need a processor that is 3Ghz and mine is only an Intel Core Quad CPU Q 6600 @ 2.4Ghz.

Reading the other posts I know my mother board will be a restriction but I can’t seem to easily see from device manager what the mother board is. I know my PC is a 32 bit operating system and looking at the new PC's that have a 3.2Ghz processor they seem to be 64 bit operating systems. Does this mean you can't get a3.2ghz processor for a 32 bit system?

If not are there any other good HD video editing software solutions that will work on a 2.4Ghz operating system?

Any help is much appreciated.

sunnystaines 17:41 24 Apr 2010

yes it can

mooly 18:33 24 Apr 2010

Is your program actually stopping you doing what you want or is it just advising you on suggested specs etc ?
Have you tried it.

DieSse 19:57 24 Apr 2010

A 2.4GHz quad-core processor is probably faster than single-core 3GHz processors. Clock-speed is not a direct indicator of processor performance.

As mooly hinted at, just go ahead and use it, it'll almost certainly work very well on your processor.

mrwoowoo 15:05 25 Apr 2010

Your Q 6600 CPU is well above what's needed to run that programme. ( I have the same CPU).
The 3GHZ required is for a single core CPU which is much older and slower than what you have.
Also, a dual-core processor is required for AVCHD, which again is less powerfull than your quad core.

martingroundsell 19:32 25 Apr 2010

Well I had thought that and when I run the basic software it works but when I try to use the Adobe Premier elements 8 trial software it wont work well and looking at their support sites they claim I will need a 2Ghz for standard video editing and a 3Ghz processor for HDVC editing.

Does anyone know of any other decent HDVC editing software as the windows movie maker software can not handle HDVC.

ardubbleyu 08:24 26 Apr 2010

How much RAM do you have? As previous posters have said, the processor is more than up to the job...

martingroundsell 08:55 26 Apr 2010

I have 4Gig of Ram at the moment and according to Dell I can put up to 8Gig of Ram into my PC. Could that be the issue? I have tried running the software with nothing else running and it played the video for about 10 seconds before it started to buffer and degrade.

bremner 15:41 27 Apr 2010

This is hwre you will be restricted by a 32 bit operating system.

Howver much RAM you put in your 32 bit system it will only be able to address 3GB. To address more you will need a 64 bit operating system.

mrwoowoo 05:25 28 Apr 2010

May be a graphics card issue, as your Dell, i would imagine will have onboard graphics which will take some of the system memory.

mrwoowoo 05:30 28 Apr 2010

Nope, i've just checked the system requirements and there is no reason that your PC shouldn't run it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache