Camera Buying Advice, Please.

morddwyd 15:29 29 Nov 2010

I have a Panasonic Lumix and a Kodak Easyshare for my normal everyday use, but I am looking for something to specifically record my wife's art work.

She works in oils, acrylics, water colour and pencil, so obviously colour rendition is the absolute requirement, with sufficient resolution to pick up the texture of the oils, so 10 Meg minimum.

Ease of use is not a factor, as I can take half an hour per shot if necessary, nor do I need the usual pretty lights and bells and whistles that never get used, and video is totally unnecessary, of course.

Budget under £350.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

HondaMan 15:31 29 Nov 2010

Check this out: click here

Woolwell 15:40 29 Nov 2010

Mount it on a tripod when taking the shots.

Woolwell 15:41 29 Nov 2010

ps Consider how you will light the subject.

Nontek 15:45 29 Nov 2010

click here

click here

My son uses a Cannon (see second link) for a similar purpose - his artwork (among other subjects) is at the first link, so this should give you some idea of the quality of Art prints.

peter99co 15:46 29 Nov 2010

Use daylight or as I like to say God's Light and the Lumix you already have.

or am I missing something?

morddwyd 16:15 29 Nov 2010

Thanks for the responses

HondaMan - plenty of cameras available, of course, but I need to know about colour rendition.

Woolwell - no need for a tripod, camera shake or movement is not a problem. lighting is normally bright, but not sunny, daylight.

Nontek - the reproduction of your son's artwork is superb. Any idea which Canon he uses? From the little I know about cameras I would say that the one he is holding is well outside my budget, perhaps to the extent of an extra zero!

peter99co - the Lumix doesn't quite cut it on the true colour rendition, and it is only 6 meg, not quite enough for the texture on an A3 print. "Natural", is not really applicable, because everything I am photographing is an artificial, or unnatural, image. Accuracy is paramount.

Nontek 16:21 29 Nov 2010

Hi, my son is holidaying in Lanzarote at this moment, he will be back next week, so I shall ask him for you - watch this space .... :-)

john 52 16:41 29 Nov 2010

morddwyd

This site may help when you decide which to purchase to compare prices

click here

john 52 16:48 29 Nov 2010

Forgot to add when I buy a new camera I always take a SD (most cameras take sd )card into the shop and take some photos with the camera I am thinking of buying and then download when I get home to see if I am happy with how much detail they have captured .I know you are unable to control lighting in a shop but it gives you an idea .
A lot of people like the four thirds system but it is all down to your personal preference

morddwyd 17:05 29 Nov 2010

Thanks. That's a good idea.

I can take one of my wife's smaller works, check out a few with my own card, and see what the rendition is like.

Hopefully the shop wouldn't object, as that's what they have demo models for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?