calling all MS outlook experts

buckrogers 17:51 06 Jan 2006

Attempting to backup my inbox/sent messages emails to disc. Cannot find the inbox/sent messages folders on my hard drive. All emails in outlook are saved somewhere on my hard drive - correct?? Have tried searching for all .pst folders & files, have enabled show hidden files with no success. Have searched the forum with no success. Do I really need another program installed in order to backup my emails??
Is it this complicated??
Please help anybody

01chris 17:55 06 Jan 2006

...but I know that it is easy to backup Outlook Express emails. If you could import the messages into OE I could give you directions how to back them up from Outlook Express

Monoux 17:57 06 Jan 2006

See previous posting on this subject with the solution to your problem I think click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:23 06 Jan 2006
  sidecar sid 19:00 06 Jan 2006

On the File menu, click Import and Export.

Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
In the list, click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.

Click the folder that contains the messages you want to back up. If the folder contains a subfolder that you want to include, select the Include Subfolders check box, and then click Next.

Under Save exported file as, click Browse, and then specify a name and location for your backup file, for example, Mail Backup.
If you back up a .pst file that you have backed up to before, click one of the following:

Replace duplicates with items exported Existing data will be overwritten with the information in the file being exported.

Allow duplicate items to be created Existing data will not be overwritten, and duplicate information will be added to the backup file.

Do not export duplicate items Existing data will be kept, and the duplicate information in the folder will not be copied to the backup file.
Click Finish.

buckrogers 19:05 06 Jan 2006

thanks sidecar sid - I have gone through the process you've written with no success. All the emails are created in folders & placed within the MY DOCUMENTS FOLDER which is where I want them but I go to open the folders from MY DOCUMENTS & I have to chose a program to open the folders because windows will not open them.
I just want to check to ensure the emails have saved into MY DOCUMENTS folder.
Have I missed a simple step?

dmc727 21:22 06 Jan 2006

You’re certainly not giving up easily on this one buckrogers with your posts – mind you it is frustrating when you can’t quite get your mind around something. . You made me chuckle in your cry for help for an MS expert. Let me know if you find one :- )

I’m certainly not one of those, but here is my take. Firstly, to clear up any confusion on here as there appears to be some, Outlook Express and Outlook are two completely separate programs.

To the best of my knowledge, Outlook does not support opening personal folders (.pst) files on read-only media (such as, CD-ROMs) or read-only folders. The format of MS Outlook mail archives (*.pst) is protected by Microsoft, and needs to be accessed by Outlook.

Therefore, when you back up your emails as I explained here yesterday

:click here

they will become readable when you restore the messages back to Outlook.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros