A Call to Space

Mr. T 21:32 21 Jul 2005

Hi
I know this is not a tech querry, but I would really like to know if there is a possible way of sending a message into space without it costing an arm or a leg.
This is not a prank or a joke. I'm very serious.

Thank you.

VoG II 22:18 21 Jul 2005

click here

Um, why???

Mr Beeline 22:33 21 Jul 2005

Beam me up Scotty.

Sorry... could not resist.

Audeal 00:45 22 Jul 2005

Mr Beeline. It was announced today that Scotty has passed away. A minutes silence would not go amiss I think.

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 05:20 22 Jul 2005

right depending on how much you would like to send there are many various ways to do what you want the simplest way is to get hold of an amature radio user ask them if you can use there set get them to turn up there amp to max power then just pick a shortwave frequencie and away you go all radio signals in the shortwave band well lets say all radio signals bounce off of the earth and head out in to space the same with television got a video camera find a cheap televison transmitter the picture dosen`t have to be great and transmitt dont get caught bt the dti though lets hpoe ET watches TV.

octal 06:34 22 Jul 2005

It couldn't be simpler, but you're going to have to define 'space' because talking radiates a message into space if you think about it.

Mr Beeline 16:51 22 Jul 2005

Audeal

Yes I know, very sad. James Doohan was a genuine nice guy. He continued to attended the Trekie conferences for many years and very much seemed to enjoy it all. Sadly missed by many.

Did you know that he never actually said those words in the TV series.

Though he will continue to live on in the hearts and minds of many people.

Luthien 17:48 22 Jul 2005

Of course he never said those words in the TV series, why would he? It was Captain Kirk who never said "Beam me up, Scotty."

Audeal 20:29 22 Jul 2005

I have seen him in several films and "Scotty" is how I shall always remember him.

Luthien is correct, of course, when he says that Captain Kirk spoke those famous words. Maybe one day those words will be spoken for real. But not in my lifetime, I'm afraid.

Mr Beeline 23:17 22 Jul 2005

Luthien

You are of course correct. What I should have said... was that phrase was never used by anyone in the series... or so my book of Star Trek trivia says. I believe it's called a semantic slip (on my part that is).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone