Calibrating battery life on a laptop

jz 22:12 17 Sep 2006

My laptop only lasts for around one hour on its battery before it hibernates due when the critical battery alarm occurs (3% charge left). If I disable any action in Windows XP when a critical battery alarm occurs so that it does not hibernate, the battery lasts for over an extra hour longer before it powers down. Someone told me that I need to 'calibrate' the battery by letting it go completely flat - I've done this a couple of times, but I still get the critical battery alarm after 1 hour of use. How do I 'calibrate' it?

woodchip 22:23 17 Sep 2006

You can alter the shut down in your Laptop. Well you should be able to. It's not the battery it's the program that keeps a check on it and shuts it down. So it's Software

spuds 22:33 17 Sep 2006

You might find these links useful click here click here

woodchip 22:38 17 Sep 2006

It appears that he is trying to stop the laptop shutting down too soon. and leaving about half charge in the battery

jz 01:26 19 Sep 2006

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I'm none the wiser. I thought it would be an easy thing to fix, but it looks like it's not so straight forward.

bazb 10:32 19 Sep 2006

Hi jz

this is how to do it on a HP Notebook. click here

Hope it helps

jz 19:08 22 Sep 2006

Thanks bazb - it's not an HP (it's a Gateway, second hand with no manual) but I have already done what they advise and it didn't help, unfortunately.

I'm now wondering what happens when you put a brand new battery in a laptop - how does the laptop know it is new and therefore higher capacity, or maybe it doesn't, and you get the same poor apparent battery life?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?