CAD program performance problem - pc freezing

jezzabevan 16:36 06 Jul 2009

I am running graphics design software called Vectorworks VW2008 on a pc with Windows XP Home 3, with a Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz CPU with 2Gb RAM and a Sapphire Radeon x1600 Pro graphics card. Problem: after using program for maybe 1 hr or so pc slows to crawl or stops, VW freezes and using up 90 - 100% of CPU. Sometimes after wait of poss 15 minutes things start going again and I can start work again. Clearly this is a major pain and I need to sort it. I think that this may be a graphics card problem - or is it my CPU speed? I don't want to waste my money so any help gratefully received. Thanks.

T I M B O 16:44 06 Jul 2009

Autodesk reccommends you spend approx £1,000 on graphics card, howerever, having said that,i have used an ATi® Radeon X600 256MB PCI-Express with very good results. Maybe check how many other programmes are booting up on that pc. Have you tried going to the "msconfig" and removing all but your antivirus & firewall.

brundle 16:44 06 Jul 2009

Sounds more like a memory leak gradually soaking up all your computer's memory. ( click here )
Ensure you have the latest patch for the program ( click here ) , close it every so often and reload to allow XP to free the memory up. Don't install any RAM/memory optimisers, the program itself is the problem and XP can manage memory very well on its own.

jezzabevan 16:55 06 Jul 2009

Thanks I will try the Nemetschek update and see what happens. Agree it seems like a memory leak. I don't want to spemd a fortune on graphics card if I dont have to!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone