Cable and wireless together?? Possible??

rickf 09:34 13 Feb 2009

Hi,
I am thinking of buying a new modem router with both ethernet and wireless capabilities. My question is can I connect to the internet using RJ45 ethrnet for my Desktop which would be near the Modem and use the wireless connection for my laptop which is in another room? Can they both access the net at the same time. Thanks in advance.

brundle 09:38 13 Feb 2009

Yes

rickf 09:41 13 Feb 2009

Hi,
Thanks for quick reply brundle. Is there anyhting particular procedure I have to follow for this set up?

DippyGirl 09:43 13 Feb 2009

If you want to share things make sure all computers are in the same workgroup

rawprawn 09:44 13 Feb 2009

No, just follow the instructions. Connect the desktop first using cable, then follow the instructions to enable wireless connection.

rickf 09:49 13 Feb 2009

Great help. Off to buy modem router tomorrow if not today if I can find time. Should the passwords and any security be be similar for both comps?

rawprawn 09:55 13 Feb 2009

You need WPA security for your wireless connection, no password is needed for cable connection.

rickf 09:56 13 Feb 2009

Sorry and thanks so far. Would it be easier to use Homeplugs instead?

Graphicool1 10:10 13 Feb 2009

rickf

Just make sure your PC has a plug hole for an ethernet cable, mine hasn't. When I went wireless I had to go back to the shop and get a wireless USB Adapter. Trouble is all the instructions assume you can connect the ethernet cable to your PC. So it tells you to use that to do the initial set up then switch to the adapter. My wifes laptop was ok it has a built in wireless sender/receiver. Once I'd set up the router her laptop found it and connected automatically.

DippyGirl 10:13 13 Feb 2009

Easier - probably, but not as flexible as wireless. How would you use from the garden? Summer's a comin'

Stuartli 10:17 13 Feb 2009

Yes.

click here

Only joking as your query seems to have been answered...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?