Cable and Wireless router - Lost password

mrthewanderer 14:08 18 Feb 2008

Can someone please tell me how to reset the router as it will not accept my password.

gazzaho 14:38 18 Feb 2008

There should be a reset button on the back, it may be recessed and you may need to use a small screwdriver or pen in order to press it, to reset mine I have to press the button for 30 seconds or so. Google your routers make and model you may be able to find out more information.

Technotiger 15:39 18 Feb 2008

Another way to reset a router - disconnect Power from router, wait ten seconds then reconnect Power to router.

Technotiger 15:51 18 Feb 2008

Download/Install PC Wizard 2008 (Free - a very useful tool to have) click here

Run it and click on Configuration, then on the Keys icon to show Passwords. You may then see the word admin or your forgotten password near top of list, if so highlight it and then click on Information to show router details.

mrthewanderer 16:14 18 Feb 2008

trying to use PC Wizard but every time I hit the keys icon I get a runtime error message?

rawprawn 16:16 18 Feb 2008

Hi Technotiger, I have just downloaded PC Wizard and tried your suggestion. Keys open Passwords, but nothing is shown. Where am I going wrong?

Technotiger 16:22 18 Feb 2008

Looks like a possible download fault - I would uninstall PC Wizard, then start again Download/Install. Uninstall it from Start/All Programs - it has its own uninstaller.

rawprawn - consider your wrist slapped, you should know why! However, Keys should show ALL your passwords, I have never known it to fail before.

Technotiger 16:33 18 Feb 2008

To fix runtime error try running Ccleaner click here

If no joy so far - what is the full runtime error message that you get?

MAJ 16:37 18 Feb 2008

"Another way to reset a router - disconnect Power from router, wait ten seconds then reconnect Power to router."

Now that confuses me, I disconnect the power from my router every night.............. ????

MAJ 16:40 18 Feb 2008

To find your password, go into the router's configuration page, it will be listed in there.

Technotiger 16:46 18 Feb 2008

Hi, then you are re-setting your router every night!

I turn off my PC every night, but keep the router connected - as it is supposed to be.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?