cable virgin

amosoreilly 14:46 06 Aug 2009

i have virgin broadband cable with speed up to 10mb.
i currently have it set up wirelessly via belkin n1 vision router and still have the ntlhome 120 modem. if i use the laptop through ethernet from modem straight to laptop i get speeds just above 5mb but if i use my wireless setup i get just above 3mb. if i got a newer modem would this improve my wireless connection speed, if so what what work with virgin and belkin n1 vision router, with thanks.

Strawballs 18:58 06 Aug 2009

The modem will have to be supplied by Virgin and wireless will always be slower than ethernet.

User-1229748 11:39 07 Aug 2009

see what your speeds say with this test as i think it is the one that virgin may ask you to useclick here

MogsyDude23 18:24 22 Aug 2009

If your still using the old NTL: 120 Ambit modem you will need to call Virgin and ask them to upgrade it as they do not handle these speeds, they were designed for when Cable introduced 1mb/2mb broadband services.

If they agree to send you one you will recieve it in the post within 3/4 days.

Hope this helps.

amosoreilly 20:35 22 Aug 2009

I emailed virgin they said the modem was capable of 10mb spedd but im not so sure, can i just buy a new modem from virgin, if so what one do you recommend to work with belkin n1 vision, cheers.

MogsyDude23 16:38 23 Aug 2009

The best place to buy a modem from is ebay. Here is one I just found on there for you...

click here

If you do buy a modem off ebay, once yo recieve it you will need to call Virgin and get them to change the MAC address so that new modem will connect using your details.

MogsyDude23 16:38 23 Aug 2009

The best place to buy a modem from is ebay. Here is one I just found on there for you...

click here

If you do buy a modem off ebay, once yo recieve it you will need to call Virgin and get them to change the MAC address so that new modem will connect using your details.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?