"Cable Unplugged" but wireless working ???

shdale1971 11:43 03 Jan 2006

Operating system: Windows XP
PC Network 'thing': VIA Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter
Router/Modem: Belkin F5D7632uk4, ADSL Modem with Wireless G Router, 802.11g, 54 Mbps, 2.4GHz, Wireless
Other: Belkin G Wireless USB Network Adapter

I have managed to set up my computer connecting wirelessly (using the usb network adapter) to the router/modem and am able to connect to the internet via the router/modem.

However, I want to use an ethernet cable to connect my pc to the router/modem and save the usb 'thing' for another pc on the network to connect wirelessly.

As soon as I unplug the usb 'thing' and connect the ethernet cable from the pc to the router/modem, The only remaining network connection with the VIA Rhine... network 'thing' is saying 'unplugged'. The router is recognising the cable and the pc seems to be also (green lights are all showing).

I have tried the Belking free support line several times - no luck, I am now waiting for a call back. In the meantime - can anyone help - please ???

Where am I going wrong ? - I have followed the pdf manual that came with the router/modem but if the usb 'thing' is not plugged in and the cable is, I cannot get to the bit where it says to enter 192.168.2.1 into the address window in the browser - I get a message that I am not connected and therefore, cannot display.

mgmcc 14:43 03 Jan 2006

The "Network Cable Unplugged" indication means that you have a network adapter installed and enabled but which isn't connected properly to another network device - hub, switch, router etc.

There can be a few reasons for this:

- the cable is literally not plugged in properly at one end or the other.

- the wrong type of cable has been used. When connecting two PCs *directly* (Network Adapter to Network Adapater) a *CROSSOVER* cable must be used. To connect a PC's Network Adapter to a hub, switch or router, a "straight-wired" cable is used.

- many routers have an "Uplink" port. One of the LAN ports can be used to "uplink" to another network switch so that additional computers can be connected. There is a little button to toggle this port between a normal LAN port and an Uplink port. The effect of this button is identical to swapping between "crossover" and "straight-wired" cables. Therefore, if you have connected to an Uplink port with the button in the wrong position, this would give you the "Network Cable Unplugged" error.

shdale1971 15:14 03 Jan 2006

Many thanks for your response. I have checked through your comments and have responded below:

- cable is plugged in both ends - checked.

- cable is an ethernet cable that came with the router so I am assuming this is ok - am connecting pc to router.

- only extra port I can see on the router is a usb port (not thin rectangle shaped usb). Do you think that this uplink port could be the problem? How do I 'toggle' the button?

Are there any other possibilities?

The Kestrel 17:24 03 Jan 2006

Did you load some drivers software for the USB adapter. If you are now using an ethernet cable link, the USB software may be the problem. Uninstall the drivers for the USB adapter and see if this cures the problem.

mgmcc 18:00 03 Jan 2006

I have just downloaded the manual for the router and it appears there is no "Uplink" port - it was an old "wired" Belkin router that I had - so that doesn't apply in this case.

I cannot suggest any reason why you should get the cable unplugged error if you are using the supplied cable. If it was me, I would try using both straight-wired and crossover cables, but I already have both and you don't want to have to buy a cable unnecessarily. Presumably you have tried plugging into all four LAN ports with the same result?

<<< only extra port I can see on the router is a usb port >>>

There is no USB port in the diagram I have in the manual. There are the four "yellow" LAN ports for connecting computers, the port for connection to an ADSL enabled phone line and the mains power input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?