Cable-type router with a BT line?

unclepauly 19:35 02 Jul 2006

Hello everyone,

ive just won a NetGear WGT624 Wireless Router from our favourite online auction website but to my dismay i think i have made a mistake.

i have a BT line (im from the UK), but apparantly this type of router is designed for Cable (like NTL, Telewest etc). it hasnt arrived yet, but can anyone tell me if this really will not work with a BT line? If not, why not, surely a router is just a router?

Secondly, i now realise that this router does not have a built-in modem. Surely i can just get a modem and connect this to the router and everything will be OK?

or is that just wishful thinking?

cheers!
-Paul

mgmcc 20:03 02 Jul 2006

This router is, unfortunately, unsuitable for use with ADSL broadband via the phone line. In *THEORY*, a Cable/DSL router can be used in conjunction with a separate *ETHERNET* modem and this is done in the US.

The problem in the UK is that ADSL uses PPPoA protocol (Point-to-Point Protocol over Asynchronous Transfer Mode) whereas Cable/DSL routers only support PPPoE protocol (PPP over Ethernet). DSL in the US does use PPPoE.

Having said that, I believe there is a particular model of D-Link Ethernet ADSL modem that can be set up with a Cable/DSL router, but I don't have the specifics.

unclepauly 20:20 02 Jul 2006

thanks mgmcc,

that explains things to me. looks like i'll have to flog it back on ebay!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires