cable for transfer

Astrid 16:16 03 Feb 2011

I've just bought a laptop and will need to transfer files and settings from my old XP desktop to a new Windows 7 computer. Is there any specially suitable cable for this, or is any transfer cable suitable. Also, are there any possible hitches to an easy transfer. I have an external drive that I can use, or else straight from one to another. I'd appreciate advice as I'm a little daunted by the prospect and the thing hasn't even arrived yet!

The Kestrel 16:29 03 Feb 2011

This is the sort of thing you need click here.

However when I transferred from an old to a new PC recently, I simply used a suitably sized USB pen drive to move files across.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:36 03 Feb 2011

Several ways to do it -

Copy all files to your external drive - then copy from external drive to new machine. No cost + files are backed up on external drive.

Connect the laptop to your router and setup a network between your old machine and new laptop to share files. Cost 1 Cat 5 ethernet cable. click here

Connect laptop direct to PC with crossover cable and set up network between the two. Cost 1 cross over cable click here

Use a USB transfer cable click here# to connect the two machines

Are you keeping the old machine or getting rid of it?

onthelimit 16:41 03 Feb 2011
  GaT7 16:50 03 Feb 2011

The Windows Easy Transfer (WET) method or similar is what you need, but it can be unreliable & if it crashes midway through (as it happened to me), you'll need to start afresh. Not very pleasant when it has been going about its business for a few hours already!

Also, most other transfer methods are very slow, so what I usually do is connect the old drive directly to the new computer (internally), then copy & paste data from the old into the new drive. There are no other settings or anything else to bother about either. But you'll need to re-do everything else at the end of course, like reinstalling programs & their settings. This ensures you have a fresh system though. This way
you can also easily & permanently wipe the old drive (if required) from within your new Windows system itself by using a free program like Eraser click here. G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:54 03 Feb 2011

Crossbow7

not so easy with a laptop :0)

GaT7 10:57 04 Feb 2011

Ha, well-spotted!

What happens when I try to do too many things at the same time! G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)