Cable from router to computer?

  ICF 19:52 10 Jun 2008

What type of cable do you need to connect your router to the computer?

  wis 19:53 10 Jun 2008

usb or ethernet

  ICF 19:55 10 Jun 2008

When you say Ethernet do you mean crossover or a patch lead.There seam to be so many different kinds

  jimv7 20:03 10 Jun 2008

Just a straight ethernet cable, the router already has the crossover connections built in.

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:03 10 Jun 2008

make and model of router may help?

what cable?
none needed if its a wireless router.
usually a Cat5 patch cable click here

  ICF 20:11 10 Jun 2008

Fruit bat thanks for the link it's a buffalo WBMR-G300N click here

There a few different types on that page what is the difference between utp and stp?

  ambra4 20:34 10 Jun 2008

Unshielded twisted pair (UTP)

Shielded twisted pair (STP)

  ICF 20:37 10 Jun 2008

Yes but what does it mean is the shield one better or does it not matter

  brundle 20:58 10 Jun 2008

Unshielded is fine for normal purposes

  ambra4 21:04 10 Jun 2008

The Shielded twisted pair (STP) cable is always better than the (UTP) but only in certain offices,

buildings that use a high percentage of high voltage equipment or radio equipment that can cause

Interference in Unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cable plus the cost is almost double the cost of the

unshielded type

Normal Unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cable is used in the home and offices that does not have

any high voltage cable or large amount of interference running in the building

  ICF 21:13 10 Jun 2008

Thanks that's all i needed to know

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?