Cable router

myanmarboy 00:59 06 Dec 2009

I have a small home network with a desktop (OS Vista HP), which is wired to my cable router (Netgear WGR 614 V6). I have a second desktop for my grandson (XP) and a laptop (Vista HP) both of which connect to the internet wirelessly through the router.
Finally got round to "securing" my network with WPA, but found that the second desktop on XP would not automatically find the network and would keep losing it once it had connected.
I have now disabled the encryption and everthing appears fine again. Am I missing something?
I thought that maybe the router was dying, but the laptop has no problem connection to either the secured or unsecured network.
Any ideas please, I do fancy having my network secured.

mgmcc 12:35 06 Dec 2009

It may be that the Wireless Network Adapter in the XP PC doesn't support WPA encryption. Is the PC up-to-date with at least Service Pack 2 installed? If so, check on the network adapter manufacturer's website to see if updated drivers are available for the wireless card.

ArrGee 23:24 09 Dec 2009

This may be of some help (a bit of a chore to set-up, but worth a read:)

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?