cable modem/ router question

andrewwatts 13:24 04 Mar 2009

I've recently moved in with partner. She has an old ntlhome 120 broadband cable modem attached to old netgear four port wireless router linked to an apple airport wirless device. Her PC accesses internet via the airport to the broadband modem.

I wish to replace netgear router and airport lash-up with a linksys(cisco) switched router. I would like to connect it to the modem via ethernet.

In the Linksys router settings/ admin panels I have a variety of options for the internet port on the router. These include such wonders as PPPoE, PPPT or similar, static IP among others.

Any advice as to how I can get the modem and router to communicate would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Tech Guy 15:11 04 Mar 2009

Have you bought the new netgear yet?

As I would have bought a wireless router with a built-in cable modem.

You can get all the setting you need from your ISP, inc username and password.

andrewwatts 15:37 04 Mar 2009

I agree - simplest to replace whole lot, but I wasn't buying any new kit. I plan to get rid of the netgear router/ airport combo and replace it with linksys router. Just wondering how to set the router to communicate with ethernet port on modem...

mgmcc 19:58 04 Mar 2009

I assume that you're not in the UK?

a) If using Virgin Media's Cable broadband service, you *CANNOT* replace the Cable Modem with one of your own. You must use the one supplied by them and which remains their property.

b) There is no Username & Password required to connect to the service, authentication is via the MAC address of the Cable Modem (another reason for not changing it).

mgmcc 20:02 04 Mar 2009

>>> Just wondering how to set the router to
>>> communicate with ethernet port on modem...

Basically, just set it to get its addresses by DHCP, but also have a look at click here

Tech Guy 20:12 04 Mar 2009

I am in UK - hangs head in shame ;)

I'm a 32 year old network engineer for Talktalk. In all my dealing with the IT world (MCSE, CCNA and working towards my CCVP) never had anything to do with the home broadband cable service.

Yes I know "A little knowledge is more dangerous....."

Thanks for the update mgmcc, appreciated.

Tech Guy 20:29 04 Mar 2009

mgmcc

Just took a look at your forum - not bad at all.

What is your IT experience and current job?

Have you any certs or IT quals?

Just wondering.

andrewwatts 21:59 04 Mar 2009

@Tech Guy -

as I said, I was thinking of swapping netgear router +airport, and didn't mention touching the modem. My questions says I want the modem to communicate with the new router. I am also in the UK.

@Mgmcc -

thanks - I did try that but it didn't want to play.

With regard to the Netgear router - I've tried accessing that directly and can't access it's admin panels. I've tried Netgear's website but not much help there.

mgmcc 22:02 04 Mar 2009

It is just my (passionate) hobby. I've never used a computer in a work situation or had any formal instruction.

mgmcc 22:12 04 Mar 2009

>>> With regard to the Netgear router - I've tried
>>> accessing that directly and can't access it's
>>> admin panels. I've tried Netgear's website but
>>> not much help there.

If it's a Netgear WGR614 Cable/DSL Router, its IP address is 192.168.1.1 (their ADSL Modem/Routers use 192.168.0.1) and typing this into your web browser should open its configuration pages, although you will be prompted to enter the Username/Password.

>>> thanks - I did try that but it didn't want to play

Can you be more specific? If you follow the correct procedure for swapping the connection to the cable modem, does the router get its IP address from the ISP? (You will need to access its configuration pages to see this.)

andrewwatts 09:52 05 Mar 2009

>>> thanks - I did try that but it didn't want to play

Sorry I should have been clearer - I connected the ethernet port on pc directly to a port on the netgear router and typed 192.168.1.1 into the browser, but achieved nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017