Cable Modem

Quickbeam 09:36 15 Jan 2011

How can I test if it's going on the blink?

It's the original Motorola from Telewest (now Virgin) and about 10/12 years old. I get periods of good quick page loading and then periods of painfully slow loadind. But I'm not sure whether it's the modem or the computer running slow.

Also is there a reason that PC World sell combined modem/wireless routers for BT, but not for cable, and are they any good?

johndrew 10:16 15 Jan 2011

It may be loading of the service depending on the time of day you are connected. I find that when offices/shops are cashing up/opening/closing my connection slows considerably. But in general use the speed will fluctuate (perhaps by a large amount) from time to time.

Perhaps using one of the speed tests or changing the site viewed when it slows may give you a clue.

Quickbeam 10:59 15 Jan 2011

It's happening too often to put down to the time of day. I don't know if modems are considered to have an expected life span and I don't want to buy one to find It's not on the blink.

I look like reverting to an early disk backup to rule out the usual accumulation of computer debris but that a pain in itself...

Strawballs 11:48 15 Jan 2011

If you are talking about the modem then you won't be able to buy one it will have to be supplied by Virgin.

BT 12:25 15 Jan 2011

As Strawballs says. Tell Virgin you are having problems and they will send you a new one. Could be of course that if its really that old you need a new one anyway to cope with the higher Broadband speeds you will be on now.

robin_x 12:58 15 Jan 2011

AOL replaced my very old modem, free of charge, with a new w'less/modem/router when I upgraded to W7.

I didn't even have to threaten to leave. Just committed to stay for another 18 months.
All very civilised.
Mind you I was dealing with a lovely woman in Ireland not India.
My India support calls are mostly not resolved well.

johndrew 14:20 15 Jan 2011

Another possibility would be a soft/firmware update. Might be worth a look click here

jon2 11:52 16 Jan 2011

I told them my modem was broken, no power light, and they sent me a new one, no need to send the old one back.I am with Virgin

Quickbeam 07:35 17 Jan 2011

I'll ring them today and see if I get one thanks.

Quickbeam 07:37 17 Jan 2011

Are the cable modems bought from the shops not Virgin compatible?

uk-wizard 07:47 17 Jan 2011

Get on to Virgin, they can test it remotely. When I had trouble with mine they sent out an engineer and a new modem FOC - the modem is theirs as they supplied it on loan when the cable connection was installed.(that was in the NTL days -telewest area was about 400yd up the road)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?