Cable Crossover versus Straight Through

  frager 00:23 14 Mar 2006

Apologies for a beginner’s very simple question. I never seem to be able to get the precise answer on the net to the exact question I have.
I have a Netgear DG834GT router. The cable supplied by Netgear is too short for where I want to position my router in relation to the computer and I need to buy a longer one.
What type of cable should I buy - a crossover or a straight through to connect my computer to the router?
I have tried to examine the cable supplied by Netgear but I cannot determine what type of cable it is.
As an addendum: What type of cable do I use if I need to connect my laptop directly to my PC with nothing in between?



  LastChip 01:10 14 Mar 2006

Cables via a router or switch are straight though (patch) cables.

Cables connecting two computers DIRECTLY together are crossover cables.

  frager 11:20 14 Mar 2006

Thanks for your clear reply. When I thought about it I realised that when connecting two computers DIRECTLY the output from one must become the input to the other.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?