Cable broadband shorter cable connection

lilythepink 17:03 01 Sep 2007

Can anyone tell me how I shorten the cable on my virgin media broadband. I went to Maplin were the guy said that probably Virgin used their own brand connectors and cable, so if I tried to cut it and reconnect it, it wouldn't work. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

ambra4 17:12 01 Sep 2007

I don't thing you should shorten the cable as if any thing go wrong virgin can say it your fault that the system not working

Just wrap it up and use a cable tie to secure close to modem

lilythepink 17:18 01 Sep 2007

Do you think that you can buy a cable from Virgin?

Strawballs 22:27 03 Sep 2007

Which cable do you need? the one from the box on the wall to the modem or STB whichever you use.

lilythepink 22:29 03 Sep 2007

the one from the box on the wall to the modem, there seems to be a very small square thing on the connection to the modem....

Strawballs 22:40 03 Sep 2007

How short do you need it because argos sell a madeup one that is 10metres long which I used to extend mine and it works fine the cable looks like a coaxial and has a screw fitting on both ends.

When I had my cable installed I had 2 boxes (back in the days of nynex) and I already had a coaxial lead running through a conduite in the wall to upstairs and the just used that cable and put a screw fitting on each end, you can buy those fittings from electrical shops such as electrotrade.

lilythepink 22:46 03 Sep 2007

Quite short, just a yard or two, in old style. Can I just tweak the connection off, as Maplin said it might be dangerous as VIRGIN might say I was fiddling with the cable. Can you give me the reference number in Argos, so I can have a look? Thanks

Strawballs 02:30 04 Sep 2007

click here or you could buy a smaller length of coaxial and a couple of the screw connectors click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone